New Guests‎ > ‎

A Brief History: Strongsville United Methodist Church

The Strongsville United Methodist Church has been a congregation on the move, growing and changing to meet the spiritual and other needs of the community. It is a group that responds to Christ's call to go forth to minister to all people.

Strongsville was part of the Western Reserve lands intended for New England settlers, so many of the people at the first class meeting of the Methodist Episcopal Church were originally from Connecticut. The first meeting in the spring of 1819 was at the home of the Jonathan Pope family. Huntington Bank now occupies this site at the corner of routes 42 and 82.

The activity of the new settlement of Albion, which had a busy mill and several businesses that attracted population, prompted members to move the church there. Albion was located in the area generally bounded by Albion, Pearl and Whitney Roads. Later, a major fire destroyed most of the settlement.

After the railroad was built through Berea, church membership declined until only about ten families remained. Members decided to move back toward the original location, building just north of the Strongsville town center on the west side of route 42.

An annual activity at this location was an annual lawn fete that lasted until World War II, an event that was later taken over by the Chamber of Commerce and became the yearly Homecoming festivities.

In the early 1950's the church added a new educational wing behind the old white frame church, impelled by increasing growth and new young families. By 1960, the church realized a new building was needed and voted to build a new sanctuary to seat 511, breaking ground April 30, 1961. This new facility was outgrown by 1983, and an atrium was built to provide more classrooms and meeting space.

By the end of the century, space was again at a premium and the church, after prayerful consideration, purchased property at the northeast corner of Webster road and Route 82 to build a new facility. On November 9th, 2007 we moved into our new location at 13500 Royalton Road in Strongsville, Ohio.

We invite you to be a part of our church family as we worship God, grow in our faith, serve a needy world, and celebrate the love of God in our midst.